Thursday, December 01, 2005

How Bush Compromised the war on Terror

Former Senator Bob Graham:

In February 2002, after a briefing on the status of the war in Afghanistan, the commanding officer, Gen. Tommy Franks, told me the war was being compromised as specialized personnel and equipment were being shifted from Afghanistan to prepare for the war in Iraq -- a war more than a year away. Even at this early date, the White House was signaling that the threat posed by Saddam Hussein was of such urgency that it had priority over the crushing of al Qaeda.

From my advantaged position, I had earlier concluded that a war with Iraq would be a distraction from the successful and expeditious completion of our aims in Afghanistan. Now I had come to question whether the White House was telling the truth -- or even had an interest in knowing the truth.

On Oct. 11, I voted no on the resolution to give the president authority to go to war against Iraq. I was able to apply caveat emptor. Most of my colleagues could not.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/18/AR2005111802397.html

1 Comments:

Blogger mikevotes said...

Question.

I can understand why the Kerry's and Clinton's who voted for Iraq for political reasons are hesitant to be out front on this, but why are the 22 dem senators who voted against it not out there blasting the war?


Points to Schumer, but other than that they're pretty quiet.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Blog Directory Anti-Bush Newsgroup Blogarama - The Blog Directory